Early intervention (EI) services build and enhance the natural learning that occurs in a child’s early years. EI developmental assessments and therapies are done in the home, daycare, or other community settings that a family chooses. All EI services are confidential and will be offered at no cost to your family.
Early Intervention in Allegheny County
Any child under 3 living in Allegheny County can be assessed through the Alliance for Infants and Toddlers (AFIT). If you are interested in learning more about birth – 3 EI programs and services or would like to schedule a developmental assessment for your child please call 412-885-6000 or go to afit.org to get more info.
For parents of children 3-5 years old, contact Allegheny Intermediate Unit Preschool Early Intervention Program-AIUPIE at 412-394-5904 to schedule a free screening. Children 3-5 who are City of Pittsburgh residents should contact Pittsburgh Public Schools 412-529-4000.
What is Early Intervention?
Early Intervention services and supports can enhance your child’s development by:
- Answering your questions about your child’s development
- Enhancing your capacity to meet the developmental needs of your child throughout daily routines at home and in the community
- Enhancing your child’s developmental and educational growth
- Supporting your child to become more independent
- Building your child’s potential for future outcomes
- Supporting communities to become more aware of the gifts and abilities of all children